Waccamaw Siouan Government
The tribe is governed by the Waccamaw Siouan Tribal Council, Inc., consisting of six members who are elected by the tribal membership with staggered terms of one to three years. The Tribal Chief's position was formerly handed down, but recently became an elected position. The tribe also has an Elders Review Committee and conducts monthly tribal meetings to inform and educate members about issues of importance to the tribe as a whole. The opinions and suggestions of tribal members are solicited during these meetings and are incorporated into the decision-making process.
The tribal council employs a tribal administrator to handle the day-to-day operations of the tribe of an annual budget of approximately $1 million. The administrator supervises the management of tribal grant programs and provides a monthly reporting of the status of grant activities to local, state, and federal agencies, private donors, the tribal council, and tribal members.
The tribe is affiliated with Legal Aid of North Carolina - Pembroke Office.
- Lacy Wayne Freeman
- Terry Mitchell, Chairperson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rev. Michael Jacobs, Vice- Chairperson (email@example.com)
- Jean Y. Brown, Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tiffany Locklear, Member (email@example.com)
- LaSandra Young, Treasurer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rev. Howard Jacobs, Member (email@example.com)
- Elwood Patrick, Member (firstname.lastname@example.org